I spent my teenage years watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer and every few years I go back and watch the boxset. I am absolutely gutted that this time around I can’t find disc one of season 4 – the one where they start college. There was some real teenage angst going on in the house while I turned it upside down looking for it with no luck.
In those slightly awkward years growing up, a few too many years ago than I’d like to remember, I looked up to Buffy as a role model of sorts. I even remember writing into a teen mag to say how I looked up to her – how embarrassing is that?! But as a bit of a geek in school, I felt like I fit in with the scooby gang. Anyway, down to my top 10 things I learnt from watching far too much sci-fi in school.
1. Accept your friends for who they are. Whether they are a key, a witch, a werewolf or a vampire, you need to look for the good in people instead of judging the differences.
2. You can’t always do it alone. I’m awful at this and try to take on everything myself, but I’ve realised I can’t cope taking on the world myself and that I need my friends and family to support me. Buffy had Willow, Giles and Xander always there for her. It’s okay to ask for help.
3. Sometimes people change. Spike was the twisted evil vampire at the beginning and then Buffy has a love hate relationship with him throughout the series. But in the end he sacrifices his own life to save not only her, but the world.
4. Good people are capable of doing bad things. Willow is so sweet and friendly throughout most of the series, but evil Willow did some very bad things. Good people can do bad things, whether they mean to or not. We still love Willow even after nearly destroying the world. Bad people are capable of doing good things too.
5. Demons can be beaten. Buffy and the gang face so many demons and defeat them all working as a team. They always find a way to win. If I took anything away from Buffy it was that I can get through anything life throws at me. I made need support along the way just like she did, but I’ll get there.
6. Trust your instincts. Buffy thought there was something wrong with Kathy the moment they met. From her weird toenail clippings to her love of Cher. If your gut says she’s evil, trust it!
7. Woman can kick ass. Buffy, Faith, Kendra, Willow and all the potentials. They could kick serious butt.
8. Sometimes a musical just makes everything better. Enough said.
9. You can’t run from your troubles. When Buffy sends Angel to hell she ran away and took the name Anne. She finds other demons there so it hasn’t solved the issue. You can’t just run away, you need to deal with the problem and fix it one way or another.
10. There are some things you just don’t want to know about your parents. Do you remember the Band Candy episode? Really don’t want to hear about parental shenanigans!
Gifs from Giphy